Your guide to local SEO in Australia 2022
Think about the last time you were on your phone and you looked up a local business. You may not even realise it, but google returned the results closest to your geographical location. In nutshell, this is local SEO. It’s getting local citations from directories and other businesses, that pin you to your location.
In 2022, having consistent NAP details (Name, Address, Phone) on the best business directories is a critical local ranking factor.
It’s advised not to add listings or Local SEO citations without a physical address. The whole premise of local SEO is to ping you to your location, and show readers on a map where your business is.
If you’re an Australian based business, you must be listed on Australian business directory listings.
Australian business directories are not just for boosting local rankings, they can also provide referral traffic from people clicking through from your listing.
So time to start finding Australian directories and submitting your business right? You’re in the right place. We’ve put together the go to list of directories for Australian businesses, updated for 2022.
How Do I Find The Best Australia Business Directories?
You’ll come across directory lists or submission services offering 50, 100 or even 250 Australian business directory websites. But most of these start up sites will return a 404, and you will waste your time. This is why the 2022 update is the best guide to follow for you.
The Top 25 Australian Business Directories (2022 Update)
2 Find local
Word of mouth
Australia Business Directory
Aboriginal Business Directory
Don’t forget your local council and Chamber of Commerce
Most local councils have a business directory exclusively for that municipality. And Ditto for chamber of Commerces. If you google out suburb + chamber of commerce you should find the listing easily.
How To List Your Business On Local Directories
- Prepare you listing info and make sure it’s correct
- Use all available FREE Business listing titles
- Submit your email address
- Use your business contact email address
- Use your business phone number or mobile number if you work remotely
- Use social media links
- Use 2-3 unique business descriptions
- Use a Square logo image (300px is best viewed on most websites)
- Use 5 business related images
- Add your Business ABN
Directory Submission Tips
Here’s a few bonus tips for getting the most from your Australian directory submissions.
- Search each directory for the business name and phone number to ensure no duplicate listings are created.
- Use consistent login details for easy followup. Save passwords in lastpass
- Make listings as complete as possible to maximise value.
- Vary titles and descriptions to create a unique listing.
- Use a dedicated email to separate confirmation & marketing emails from personal email.
- Make sure your listing is confirmed on email
Expect a few phone calls from directories upselling premium listings, especially from yellow pages. Their job is to upsell you paid ads. This is a waste of time. No one ready yellow pages online, you are better off spending your money on google ads. You are here only for the backlink and local SEO benefits.
Last but not least don’t forget to ask your clients for a review of your product or service on the directories to boost your profile, referral traffic and backlink value!
Alpha Omega Digital is a WordPress agency based in Melbourne, Australia but also services clients from Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and Hobart. Have a project in mind? Contact me here.